Location: South Central and Interior
Categories: Nutrition, Obesity Prevention, Health Promotion
Investigator: Andrea Bersamin
The Children’s Healthy Living Program for Remote Underserved Minority Populations in the Pacific Region (CHL) is a partnership among remote Pacific states and other jurisdictions of the US: Alaska, American Samoa, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, Federated States of Micronesia, Hawaii, Republic of Palau, and the Republic of the Marshall Islands. All jurisdictions have US Land Grant Colleges, which have united in the Pacific Land Grant Alliance (PLGA).
We are combining efforts to:
- train a public health nutrition work force
- conduct public health nutrition research
- develop a food, nutrition, and physical activity data management and evaluation system
- communicate nutrition and health related information to the public
- With no US National Nutrition monitoring (e.g, NHANES) in these jurisdictions, not even in the states Alaska and Hawaii, the information we attain through CHL will guide future children’s obesity prevention programs and policies.